Don't you think the minimum criteria of the weather forecast dataset is too strict?

The minimum criteria of the weather forecast dataset is as follows:

• 5 days forecast of temperature updated daily
  • 5 days forecast of wind updated daily
  • 5 days forecast of precipitation updated daily
  • Historical temperature data for the past year

Actually, for wind and precipitation, the Korea Meteorological Administration (KMA) provides only 3-day forecast, and 5-day (actually 10-day) forecast published by the KMA just includes data about overall weather condition and temperature.

I think that the criteria is too strict to meet. I wonder how many people can benefit from wind and precipitation forecast for more than 3 days and how accurate it can be.

What was the basis for determining the criteria? Were experts consulted regarding what sort of forecasts provide the most value?

1 Like

Truth be told, I have no idea about your questions. I think @Mor is the one who can answer them. :wink:

Hello!

I asked [GODAN][1], Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition, about this criteria. 5 days forecast is used by farmers to plan their work. It is also used in many commercial applications (which offer 5 days forecast).

@jgkim - what do you mean by overall weather conditions? Temperature, wind and precipitation are pretty basic conditions…

1 Like

@Mor, sorry for the confusion. I meant weather terms such as sunny, cloudy, rainy, etc. by overall weather condition. You can see 5-day forecast of Korea in English at: Mid-Term Forecast > forecast

@jgkim - alright, lets add the 3 days datasets, the reviewer will decide what to do. :smile:

1 Like

@Mor, I’ve already submitted all the categories for Korea, Rep. of., but as I added comments for each, I wish the reviewers can know the details, including this.