Public Library as an Open Library

Hello, my name is Fabiano Caruso, and I live in Florianópolis, Brazil.

[sorry about my english, google translate save me]

I am an activist and researcher on open governance and open science models since 2002 when I idealized and created the ExtraLibris brand (extralibris.org). And we are now in partnership with the Florianópolis City Hall to re-signify the Municipal Public Library.

The vision of my project is to turn the public library into a kind of open university, a space for co-research, co-learning and co-creation.

However, we do not have financial resources being allocated by the city hall to the library, because historically in Brazil the public libraries have been transformed into spaces for the relocation of educators of the public sector readapted and are receiving less and less investments.

I believe there is a great potential to incorporate social technology, open standards, and open data, for example, to initially create a new governance model for library catalog data, and a collaborative collection curative process, in an integrated way with several other initiatives.

In recent months I have developed a module for WordPress to replace automation systems that do not allow open access to library catalog data.

However, in a next phase I am looking for partnerships to develop other solutions, such as thinking how the organization of the collections and loans can occur in a decentralized way.

Parallel to the public library we are already implementing this model of governance in a library of art and culture: http://artecultura.inf.br.

And the future wordpress site for our públic library: http://barreirosfilhos.inf.br

My master degree project (fabianocaruso.com): This dissertation proposes to analyze the actions of academic researchers in the open web. It offers a literature review on the guiding problems of research such as the concept of openness, the consumerization of information technology, and the currents school of thought of open science. It introducts issues related to the production of knowledge in academia, the researchers and the ethos of science, academic research traditions and the life cycle of academic research. For the creation of a methodology for analysis of the actions of researchers, knowledge management is seen as a discipline that provides the definition of criteria for the use of emerging technologies for collaboration and the Pyramid of engagement was used to identify possible actions on the web. Based on theoretical foundation we develop a methodology for evaluation of academic engagement actions by analyzing researchers sites and also collaboration by sending an online questionnaire. In its conclusions identified the diversity of actions of researchers in relation to the forms of engagement and adoption of digital technologies, in line with the emergence of initiatives related to open science. And suggests directions for further research in Information Science related to the theme.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Great to hear from you @caruso.

Could you summarize exactly what challenge you are addressing and what you would like. :slight_smile:

1 Like