The Definitions of Region-level and City-level

I am currently trying to get a local census in Korea, Republic of, but I am not sure about what I am considering to create is whether region-level or city-level.

Actually, everyone can agree what country-level is, but each country has different system of administrative divisions. In Korea, we have two groups in the system: provincial-level divisions (upper level local autonomy group) and municipal-level divisions (lower level local autonomy group). What I am trying to create a census for is provincial-level, and I think it’s upper than city-level and lower than region-level. The provincial-level divisions include the capital city (i.e., Seoul), other major cities, and actual provinces, but each province can include municipal-level cities.

Any idea? Could you help me clarify this issue, @nealbastek? :wink:

Based of this information provided I would suggest the following:

• Regional Census = Provincial-level divisions
  • City Census = Municipal-level divisions

I assume the that Provincial-level divisions (provinces, special autonomous provinces, special cities, metropolitan cities and special autonomous cities) are all mutually exclusive and have no overlap. E.g. a special city is not within a province. I suspect this may not be the case.

I’d go with what culturally makes sense. Ask your friends which census they’d expect to find Busan, Ansan, Seoul or Sejong in - Regional or City.

2 Likes

@Stephen, your suggestion matches with my thoughts, and your assumption is true. Provincial-level divisions in Korea are all mutually exclusive. Although Seoul is surrounded by Gyeonggi province, there is no overlap between them.

Thank you for the comment, as always. :slight_smile:

1 Like