Open Data Census 2.0

Hi folks,

As I’ve been going through my first experience with the census (still learning), I wondered about a couple of key challenges OR opportunities. A few years back I convened a Skype call between OK and the Web Foundation re: possible integration/collaboration on ODI and the open data barometer - general agreement but din’t go anywhere (although I note Time Davies and Mor are speaking to this? at #IODC15).

Census 2.0 Suggestions:

• use a database for datasets and add categories that allow a user to filter the datasets they;'re interested in. My understanding is that the screen width is limited datasets to 15-17 … we need to get beyond that;
  • census on degree of openness has obvious value but next version should allow us to expand whats being assessed to include tow very important elements: data quality and impact of open data
    These are major changes to what we currently have but this is an impressive community and I don’t see why we don’t collaborate on this and combine our collective resources. Thoughts …

Cheers Jury Konga
Open Knowledge Canada Ambassador

Hi Jury,
great ideas and I’ve had similar thoughts. Given the screen width limitation and my desire to assess more datasets and measure their quality, I’m taking this following path in Australia:

1. I established Australia’s Regional Open Data Index.
  2. This was rapidly followed by others creating Australia’s Local Open Data Index.
  3. I’m working with the Open Data Institute Queensland to bring Open Data Certificates to Australia.
  4. I would love to bring the Open Data Monitor to Oceania. There’s always room for another Australia vs New Zealand competition (NZ has just joined in with GovHack)

Open Data Certificates presents the opportunity to scan open data portals (e.g. CKAN) and assess every dataset against a broader set of criteria. There is also a manual online survey that can be completed if you don’t have a portal or use one that can’t be scanned yet.

I’m keenly watching #IODC15 to see what roadmap emerges to help improve the quality of open data. If the supply-side of open data is poor, there will be limited demand and hence little value created.

Hi Stephen,

As per our Skype call a while back, kudos for the great work you’re doing in Australia. There are a lot of folks with differing ideas about how to address/measure the quality attribute and I don’t see a consensus yet - maybe we’ll get something new at #IODC15. Hoping to talk to some folks when I’m there starting tomorrow.

I suspect there’s a number of Masters and PhD candidate folks (like Tim Davies) that are doing work in this area but we’re not aware of it. If anybody knows of such research, it would be great for all of us to review and work towards a common standard as opposed to where we’re currently headed which is multiple standards. Look forward to any further suggestions.

Cheers Jury

1 Like