Open Knowledge Network guidelines consultation - give us your feedback!

Hello all!

Last month we announced in a blog post about our plans for the network for 2016. This thread will start the first step in our plan - re-writing the network guidelines.

What will you find in the guidelines?

1. We have defined the different entities in the network.
  2. We explained what will happen to non active groups and how we they can be revived.
  3. Defined responsibilities and support that each entity of the network will get.
  4. explanations how one can join the network.

In our point of view, the responsibilities and support are a milestone in our network, They help us to commit to one another and to promote our work. In the new guidelines, most of the responsibilities are regarded to communication, and how each of the entities can update the rest of the network. We hope that with constant communication and updates, we can see more collaboration, build capacity and give more power to open knowledge activities around the world.

How this consultation will work?

The document is on this google doc, and all are welcome to comment on it.
We have already sent this document to the OKI staff and to the chapters. You can see their comments in the doc.

We will open this document to a public consultation for the next month. After this month we will upload it to Open Knowledge website and will inform all current members of the network on the changes it bring.

Finally, we also see this document as a live document that like the network, it always changing. Therefore, we will set dates in the future to review it with you again.

A blog post about this will be published soon. In the meanwhile, if you have questions, please ask them here.

Looking forward to hear from you about this!

5 Likes

Also, tagging
@KerstiRu @Stephen @dirdigeng @gsilvapt @Haklae_Kim @titinto @danielcarranza @gr33ndata
You might find it interesting as well.

2 Likes

Hi Mor,

Interesting. I will check the document and will add some feedback, if I have.
Just a quick question. How do we handle a membership of local group? Can they have official titles to be assigned like local group organiser or local group member (i didn’t see it though)?

• Haklae

Hi, thanks to the consultation and discussion invitation.

About the “Network structure” section, there are some illustration or chart? Is a complex content, even venn diagrams will help to see where each kind of staff, collaborator, community etc. are into… Well, in a first and fast reading, I see in my mental picture something like that,

• Support (established) structure: Open Knowledge International.
  • Temporary Local Strucures: Incubating, Establishing.
  • Established structures: Local Group, Affiliated Groups, Chapters, Labs, Working Groups.

This “grouping by maturity level” makes sense?

1 Like