Open Science Blog Queue

Please suggest posts for the Open Science Working Group blog by replying to this message!

These will then be reviewed by our blog editing team and an editor will be assigned as necessary.

Konrad Förstner has offered to write a short blog post on the open science meeting he organised at Chaos Computer Club Summit. Any takers for editing and posting? Should be a very quick job.

Hi, Mark here, my blog url is http://blog.stillwell.me and my twitter handle is @marklee77.

I’ll be happy to help out with editing the CCC post.

Last year I helped organize a EuroPar workshop on open and reproducible research methods in parallel computing (http://reppar.org/), and we’re going to submit a proposal to run the same workshop again this year. I’d like to be able to post something about it later on this spring, assuming we’re approved.

Hey! Here is a proposal for an article about our meeting at the 31C3:

https://pad.okfn.org/p/31c3blogpost

There is a German version which Christian Heise will post tomorrow at the German OFKN blog and an English version. I would appreciate if a native speaker could have a look at the later one and help improving it. Thanks!

I made a revision on the pad, but just in case it doesn’t save for some reason (CCC is un-linked because discourse is complaining about too many links in my post):

At the end of December 2014 the Chaos Computer Club hosted an annual international conference called the Chaos Communication Congress (31C3) in Hamburg, Germany. The meeting offered numerous activities covering different technical and societal topics. The Chaos Communication Congress depends on the initiative of participants, and so in addition to a selection of excellent talks there were opportunities to run meetings and workshops. The Open Science working group of The Open Knowledge Foundation organized a gathering of people interested in the cause of Open Science. More than 20 participants from different countries working in diverse fields, including astrophysics, psychology, computer science, economy, and life sciences, participated in the session. A number of different aspects of the initiative were discussed, including Open Access, alternative publication models, Open Data repositories, Open Source software, and techniques for improving the reproducibility of research results. Additionally, emerging questions were answered and Open Science related organizations as well as projects were briefly presented. Due to the positive feedback we are planning a similar meeting at the summer camp of the Chaos Computer Club, which will happen in August 2015 close to Berlin. We look forward to meeting you there!
An outline of the meeting can be found 31c3opensciencemeeting. Many thanks to Markus Demleitner for taking notes!

Great! Many thanks, Mark!

Hi Mark and other new blog editors

I was about to set you up with editing privileges on science.okfn.org but my okfn email account is blocked and this likely won’t be sorted until Monday now, so apologies for that delay. If you want to be added to the site earlier just direct message me with your email address via @jenny_molloy on Twitter.

Thanks!

Jenny

Dear everyone,

My name is José Luis Preza. I am an IT guy, Composer, Musician, I write opinion columns for several papers, I also teach cooking courses. I will be gladly contributing to the blog.

I work at the University of Vienna (Austria) in the project e-Infrastructures Austria.

e-Infrastructures Austria is a project for the coordinated establishment and development of Repository infrastructures for digital resources in research and science throughout Austria.

the project site: www.e-infrastructures.at

my music site www.Preza.org/RuheZone (instrumental acoustic guitar, space progressive rock)

Thanks to Jenny and the team at Open Knowledge…

JL

Tiny ping. Will the 31C3 post be published on the blog at some point?

Hiya,

I’m running an event next Friday to present work that has been done to replicate super computer facilities in AWS. We’ll be releasing the source for all work before the end of the year and should have a video demonstration to share along with a blog post after Friday.

I beleive this will be interesting to those in the open science group with regards to making executable whitepapers accessible to anyone with an AWS account. Many simulations can be run on small clusters over short periods, so the work should allow for rapid peer review, replication and verification of simulations and rerunning of simulations on a vast array of localised datasets by multiple research teams worldwide.

Details for the event next Friday can be found here:

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has considered creating a medium publication to collate and publish blogrolls ?