Tell us your story: How do you use GODI? How can GODI support your work?

Dear all,

The Global Open Data Index (GODI) went through profound changes this year. For example, we tried to facilitate the submission process through a better survey interface. Our results should be presented in a better way so that users could interpret the GODI results better, and make better use of the data we capture.

Designing GODI means to strike a balance between different user needs: We address open data advocates who want to monitor change in their countries. Governments want to use the index to see how their open data initiatives compare worldwide, or learn from our assessment to improve their provision with open data. Researchers use GODI as a link list to better find open datasets they need. And then there are those users who want to teach others about open data by using our survey process. Some community members feel that GODIā€™s design has improved, others say that it is not useful for their work.

Therefore we want to learn from you!

How do you use GODI?
What features are important to you and for what reason?
How can we improve GODI to make it more relevant for your work and interests?

We are looking forward to hear more about your thoughts.
Danny

1 Like

Hello there,
Iā€™m an early stage researcher coming from academia sector and Iā€™m doing research in open data availability using GODI framework as part of a european funded project TODO. I have some doubts and hope you could maybe give me some advice on how to proceed with my assessment.
Iā€™m trying to assess the availability of three datasets using GODI methodolgy but i do not know how to understand assessment questions. For example, the question: ā€˜Is the data available online without the need to register or request access to the data?ā€™ , does it sees data as available to view or to download (e.g. data may be available online but only in view mode, while download option is available only on request and with fee). Do I say here ok, data is available online? Another question I have is the scoring. Every question is scored with some points but how are the points distributed within the question (e.g. how can I determine whether i should give 5, 10 or maybe 15 points to an indicator). Do you maybe have additional documentation or usecase where it could be possible to better understand the way GODI assesses datasets. Thank you very much and hope for your fast reply.

Regards,
Karlo

1 Like

Hi @Karlinho_s,

as explained in the GODI methodology, data collection is done in three phases:

1. Submission phase using a snowball sampling approach. It includes an interim phase to filter out countries that do not have submissions for all data.
  2. Review phase
  3. Quality assurance of review results

This is a process that involves dozens of volunteers submitting and reviewing entries for almost a hundred places. The effort involved is one of the reasons it hasnā€™t been applied again since 2017. So I donā€™t think it can be directly applied to a small scale experiment like you intend to (ā€œthree datasetsā€) without making changes and adaptations in the methodology. Even in the GODI, the methodology has changed so much over the years that scores cannot be compared across different years. As explained in the footnote at the site:

Note: The methodology used in the Global Open Data Index has changed over time; significantly so between 2015 and 2016. For this reason, the results are not directly comparable over time.

That said, Iā€™ll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. I have participated as a volunteer in all editions of the GODI, but by no means I would consider myself an authority on its methodology or anything like that.

In this hypothetical case it seems clear to me that the answer should be no, making a ā€œview modeā€ that does not allow downloading the data does not count as making it available online as open data, as it limits reuse. Whether registration or payment allows a user to be lifted of that restriction would come into effect in the following couple of questions. So it would not get the points.

All of the scored questions are yes or no questions, so it would either get all of the points attributed to the question or none.

1 Like

I just ran across this site today, and I found the ā€œNational Lawsā€ data invaluable for helping me assess which countries where I may have trouble finding open laws and regulations (I maintain a global regulation database for the company I work for). Will this data be updated? Looks like it was last updated in 2016?

1 Like

Hi !
Iā€™m interested in how Singapore rank in GODI with respect to National Statistics and how did it fare against the various criteria used to determine the rankings.

Where can I look up Singaporeā€™s annual rankings in GODI (each year from 2012 to latest) and also the methodology used for the ranking?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome @iutefwo!

The GODI is no longer an active project. The last year measured was 2016 and you can find Singaporeā€™s assessment in regards to national statistics here (you might need to add a security exception as the site has a bad TLS certificate at this moment).

A somewhat similar project that is still active is the Global Data Barometer. However, looking at the country list I donā€™t think they have evaluated Singapore at the latest edition.

1 Like