Building bridges after OGP Estonia

OKFN, OKFI and OKEE have recently promoted an official side event to the OGP Summit The Tech We Want to Open Governments.

During the event, we discussed extensively about transparency, freedom of information, better digital infrastructure and its sustainability, open knowledge as a design principle, and everything open data that feeds open government initiatives around the world. We feel the event was just the beginning of a long conversation that we would like to keep going.

We have captured the main impressions in this blog about the event, and this blog about the OGP Summit in general.

To spark discussions:

Much has been said about Digital Public Infrastructures (DPIs), but they do not necessarily follow open standards. How do you think we could ensure that these infrastructures are open? Any great examples around the world?

4 Likes

I would also be curious to hear of examples that (even just) good (enough).

My guess is they are likely to be only on municipal level as exceptions.

Either way would love to be proven wrong :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heya - my update from the general trip in September that included the OGP and Tech We Want events is here:

On the conversation for public infrastructure Iā€™d just mention that openness for DPIs would be great in terms of building them. Make these open for the lessons they provide, so others can pick up DPGs based on them and use them in their own context. Openness in how they operate would really be dependent on their use case.

For sure, if the DPI is data infrastructure for public datasets, such as a portal built on CKAN, then openness is best done in alignment with relevant standards for data catalogues and datasets themselves. But, DPIs might be built for a range of use cases and openness may not be desirable in all cases.

The digital public goods checks are a great start. Open source model, verifiably used for public good, for-good mission orientation of the project, etc.

1 Like