Core Data Curators - Introductions

Hi @rufuspollock

I’m happy to curate a dataset and am looking at #10, IBAN / BIC codes (SWIFT) right now. Also happy to create a dataset and am researching Irish Property Prices, I’m @PilipMac on github where we’ve already discussed this (Pilip is the gaelic version of my name). The research has been a bit slow to start but I’ve a clear week next week.

Hi everyone,

I’m Fred and I currently work as a data analyst in Paris.

I’m quite comfortable with MATLAB and Excel, and now I’m learning Python.

This project inspire me because I think it’s a good occasion to make the world just a little bit better. I am also glad to meet people with shared interest and I hope to learn a lot of stuff here !

Hi everyone! I’m Evan and I work at UNICEF’s Global Innovation Centre exploring new ways to extend UNICEF’s impact for children around the world. My background is in software development (mostly python and js) and I’ve dealt with plenty of data along the way.

I’ve been maintaining the country codes dataset (http://data.okfn.org/data/core/country-codes) and would be happy to take on some more datasets and tasks.

Hi all! I’m Carmen, doing data management outreach and education at a research university in Chicago. I’m relatively new to the field. I work with a lot of social/physical/health sciences researchers, though I have a special interest in curating data of interest to humanists (I have more of a digital humanities background). I don’t always get to work directly with datasets in my day job, so I’m excited to get my hands dirty.

I’ve read through the guide and I think I understand the process…looking forward to getting started and working with everyone!

Hi everyone! I am Srinivas Kodali. I am a civil engineer working on Intelligent Transportation Systems in India. I build apps, websites,visualizations and am good with most data analysis languages and tools. My major interests are in GIS and Transportation, Cities. I am an active member of India`s open data community.

I am currently working on curating GTFS datasets of transit agencies in India and making them open. This data can help in solving lot of transport issues in the country and it doesn`t exist in a standard form unlike western countries. Here is the link for the project https://github.com/transitmetrics/ntd

I am good with data crawling, cleaning, structuring from websites and even pdf`s. Looking forward to work with you all.

1 Like

@seiteta @evmw @ccas @srinivaskodali welcome all - and great to have you involved.

Take a look at Getting Started Guide if you haven’t already and if you have any queries or questions (or just want to let folks know how you are getting on) you can drop a message in the Watercooler channel.

Hi All,

I am Andreas and work as in search engine optimization. Working with very large dataset every day mostly bash tools to work the data, excel to make it pretty (kind of), and custom tools for my job, like splunk for loganalysis, large scale seo tools.

This weekend will be my time to take a close look at how things are done. Looking forward to this!

Welcome @andreas - great to have your participation. Let us know how you get on with the Getting Started Guide.

Hello!

I’m Peter and I live in Seattle. My background is in large scale IT infrastructure management and I’ve recently set out on my own doing web development.

From my own experience building data visualizations and maps, as well as from organizing a couple civic hackathons, I’ve felt the time suck of corralling messy datasets. I want to help make it easier for others to use open data while becoming better skilled myself in processing unstructured data.

And I will say that messy, unstructured datasets are still better than no data at all, so I am keenly interested in upping my involvement with open data advocacy. I look forward to strategizing with like-minded spirits!

Hi everyone, my name is Riyadh, a phd student at SOAS researching copyright and human rights. I’m interested in copyright, open data, and the commons. My background is legal, but I can manage doing all the basic things on Excel and github.

@peter @bluechi welcome and great to have your contribution. Please head over to the Registry:

Have a browse and see if there is a dataset you would like to take on - either researching or packaging (you can also suggest new datasets!)

Hello,

I’m Santiago, a recent graduate in Library and Information Science with no previous experience on data curation.

However, I know how to make Google do a barrel roll (and luckily some more useful things too), how to properly query databases and I have some idea on assessing the quality of information sources. I also know easy BASH tricks, some HTML and I am learning Python. I’m also a Spanish and Catalan native speaker, in case that could be of any help.

My participation is driven by curiosity: I want to learn how to prepare neat data packages, I want to see what people can do with them and, in the meanwhile, I want to meet brilliant people and improve my IT skills. I’m really glad to colaborate with you in this project.

1 Like

@stmartin great to hear from you! Please dive in and get started - the guide is here: http://data.okfn.org/doc/core-data-curators

And the queue of things to contribute to is here: Issues · datasets/awesome-data · GitHub

Hi all! Sorry for the delay in getting started. I work as a researcher in the fields of law and anthropology (international law, public health, indigenous people’s rights, medical anthropology,…). For the last several years I have been specializing in data science and visualization applied to the social sciences. I am a big believer in the importance of open scientific cooperation and the unrestricted, efficient sharing of information and knowledge between people -the implementation of open data is an obvious prerequisite to enable and maximize the impact of such scenario. So here I am, looking forward to contributing to the initiative by creating some data packages!!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I am proficient in Spanish and Catalan (my mother tongues) and English. I also speak a little bit of Simplified Chinese (my wife is from Shanghai, I used to be an expat over there). R and Python are the languages I am most comfortable with. Also Sed, Grep, regular expressions and the like. Could code some HTML / Css if necessary (no js though).

Hola Santiago. Nice to meet a fellow Catalan over here! I am originally from Barcelona, although I have spent the last eight years abroad. Where are you based?

@EnricGTorrents welcome! Please dive in - the guide to getting started is here: http://data.okfn.org/doc/core-data-curators

And the queue of things to contribute to is here: Issues · datasets/awesome-data · GitHub

Welcome, Enric, and nice to meet you too. I’m currently based in London. Are you living nearby?

Thanks, Santiago! No, I am based in Almería. Just got back to Spain after spending eight years living abroad (first four in the UK -one in London-, the rest in China).

Hi Everyone, I’m Robb. My background is in software engineering and law. My current work is in getting the world’s restaurant health inspections online, and publishing law in an accessible way.

My skills are the US legal system and intellectual property law, git and GitHub, software architecture, and languages like Python, Ruby, Perl, and Javascript.

I’m interested in contributing because I’m already working to make more data open, and I can see that I have the skills to contribute here.

Good to meet everyone!

Welcome Robb - great to have your participation!