Job vacancy: Junior Officer, Open Knowledge and Communications @ REEEP (NGO, Austria)
(Full Time: 40 hours/week)
REEEP is seeking a Junior Officer, Open Knowledge and Communications to support REEEP’s work on Open Knowledge and deliver and maintain the baseline communications products and services.
REEEP invests in clean energy markets in developing countries to reduce CO2 emissions and build prosperity.
Leveraging a strategic portfolio of high impact projects, REEEP creates, adapts and shares knowledge to build sustainable markets for renewable energy and energy efficient solutions; advance energy access, improve lives and economic opportunities; and reduce climate and environmental damage.
Market transformation is complex and multidimensional. We monitor, evaluate and learn from our portfolio to
understand these complex systems, identify opportunities and barriers to success, and lower risk for market actors. This insight influences policy, encourages public and private investment, and informs our portfolio strategy to build scale within and replication across markets.
REEEP is an international non-profit organization that was founded as a public-private partnership in 2002, during the World Summit for Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, South Africa. REEEP is committed to the principles of the Climate Knowledge Brokers Group in ensuring our data and knowledge are open, accessible and suited to the needs of decision makers in creating change.
REEEP’s work culture is shaped by its focus on entrepreneurship and dynamic market development; it is lean and team-oriented, open and sharing, emphasizing learning and development through clear and well-structured processes. Working collaboratively with the team in a dynamic environment is one of the main requirements of this position.
The Junior Officer, Open Knowledge and Communications
The holder of this position will be assigned to the Open Knowledge team, with a 60/40 split role of supporting the work on the Climate Knowledge Brokers Group and on baseline services in communications. The position reports to the Director of Open Knowledge. The candidate should have a keen interest in international development cooperation and climate change subjects, and in innovative (technical) aspects of sharing knowledge effectively among diverse stakeholder groups.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Support community facilitation of the Climate Knowledge Brokers (CKB) Group in cooperation with its
coordinator and serving the CKB online communities
- Working with other team members on organising CKB and REEEP events in person and online, such as workshops, side events and webinars
- Research on Open Knowledge subjects and projects
- Project delivery of Open Knowledge components in REEEP energy projects
- Supporting the “Climate Tagger” team with a focus on extending the “climate thesaurus”.
- Communications support for all of REEEP-maintained web presences, including:
Website maintenance and updates; Writing, editing and posting news articles, blog posts ; Editing support for REEEP publications
- Managing the REEEP and CKB mailing lists and newsletter outreach
- Research and information-gathering, data aggregation
- Support donor reporting
- Other duties as necessary in the Open Knowledge and Communications field
The candidate will have:
- Outstanding writing abilities in English on the highest professional level are a must. Other languages an
advantage, especially Spanish or French
- Experience in writing and editing across multiple channels to develop materials for consumption by
- Excellent IT skills and abilities including experience in working with content management systems.
Experience with adobe creative suite is an advantage.
- Basic knowledge or very strong interest in working with taxonomies or semantic technologies
- Experience in research tasks (desk research, interviews, etc.)
- Demonstrable interest in REEEP and CKB areas of engagement, for instance sustainability, climate change, clean energy, international development, climate resilience, and impact investment.
- Basic understanding of global media landscape, particularly online
- Ability to work collaboratively in an international team and to meet tight deadlines
- Strong project management skills
- A university degree in a topic-related subject
- EU citizenship or unrestricted residence permit for Austria
REEEP encourages equal opportunities regardless of age, gender, race or religion.
Monthly remuneration for this position is a minimum of 2000 EUR (gross, subject to Austrian taxes and social security deduction, paid 14 times per year) and includes five weeks paid leave as well as an average of 14 Austrian and UN holidays per year. The office location is the Vienna International Centre (‘UNO City’) in Vienna, Austria. REEEP is not able to cover relocation costs or any other travel costs incurred, e.g. for job interviews.
Please address your CV and motivation letter to Mr Florian Bauer and send it to via e-mail email@example.com.
Application deadline: 26 March 2016