Entry for Locations / Austria

This is a discussion about the submission for Locations / Austria.

In my opinion the answer for “B7. Is the data openly licensed/in public domain?” should be NO and not YES. The license available at http://www.bev.gv.at/pls/portal/url/ITEM/88AB1D338625A5D0E040010A83211FDB states that re-distribution is not permitted and is not compatible with an open license according to the Open Definition.

The relevant section in the terms is 2.3.7:
“Dem Kunden ist es nicht erlaubt, vom BEV bezogene (Original-) Daten an Dritte unentgeltlich oder entgeltlich weiterzugeben oder Sublizenzen zu erteilen. Sofern die vom BEV bezogenen Daten anderen als den intern Nutzungsberechtigten zur Verfügung gestellt werden sollen, ist ein Be- und Verarbeiten der Daten („Folgeprodukt“) im Rahmen eines entsprechenden Nutzungsrechtes erforderlich, außer im Rahmen des Nutzungsrechtes „Freie Werknutzungen“ (Punkt 2.2.1). Die Be- und Verarbeitung der Daten erfolgt durch Verschneiden mit anderen ortsbezogenen oder thematischen Informationen bzw. durch Verwendung als Entwurfsgrundlage. Dabei ist vom Kunden sicherzustellen, dass Dritten das Ableiten (Extrahieren) von 13* Originaldaten des BEV nicht ermöglicht wird. Für einen daraus entstandenen Schaden des BEV ist der Kunde voll ersatzleistungspflichtig.”

B7.1 link to license agreement should be http://www.bev.gv.at/pls/portal/url/ITEM/88AB1D338625A5D0E040010A83211FDB (the current link links to the dowlonad section for “products free of charge”)

1 Like

i agree on this. not beeing able to share should be generally understood as not open.

I have downloaded the folder Adresse_Relationale_Tabellen-Stichtagsdaten from the indicated source. Browsing through it, I saw the file Licensing_conditions.txt that stats:
The unlimited right to use the product ÑAddress Register ñ Relational Table ñ Reference Date Dataî shall be granted under the condition that all kinds of releases and follow-up products must quote the intellectual property rights of the address register and the record date of the data extraction as follows: “© ÷sterreichisches Adressregister, data of the record date dd.mm.yyyy”.
I have seen no restrictions for re-distribution in this file. If I were a user of this dataset, I would consider it open.