License compatibility as imperative?

Aside: I don’t know, possibly the wrong question. The Open Definition Advisory Council was started long ago as an autonomously governed body largely, as I recall/understood, because OKF at the time thought it was important to define Open and approve licenses with respect to non-software (which of course OSI covers, and side note, in the last year they have evaluated at least one open hardware license; there is also an Open Source Hardware Definition, but no license evaluation body or list of OSHW licenses) and OKF was an interested party (having some relationship to the Open Data Commons licenses which I’ve forgotten, and they may have too). It would be good to surface documentation for all this. The ODAC has been relatively inactive the last few years. I think it could use a bit of a refresh (the ODAC, not necessarily the OD) probably with the involvement of OKF.

Yes, in the form of discussions on this forum, or previously the mailing list. Glad you take the long view – the German 2.0 open data licenses (BY and 0) were discussed and approved July/August/September 2014. I made an issue about documenting this for each license. Pull requests welcome, or drop references here.

1 Like