Open Knowledge Meetup - Canberra

http://www.meetup.com/Open-Knowledge-Canberra/

1 Like

We are thinking about a session that covers open council data this week :slight_smile:

Would that be the totally awesome Open Council Data project that’s developing lightweight standards for the publishing of council data?

That would be very applicable to all 569 councils appearing on Australia’s Local Open Data Census.

What if all the councils followed the standards - then we could easily compare and combine open council data across Australia - there’s an idea :bulb:

Yep. Or we’ll at least do a session to identify existing data and make submissions to the local index. I did a few of these today so I suspect there are more to identify.

I can see you’ve been busy adding changes. Looks like Melbourne may break into the Top10.

If others are thinking of contributing to Australia’s Local Open Data Census but are a little unsure, there’s a tutorial you can read or you can ask for help in this forum.

1 Like

Just a note that the session tomorrow should be cool. Have added the following to the meetup details today.

Scheduled this session:
Steve Bennett will run through the work he has been doing with open council data and kick you in the rear with inspiration for what can be achieved with local open Government data. We’ll then have a general discussion about how OK Australia can help to get more local Government data published and the value it generates for local, state and national open data programmes.

We had a fantastic presentation from Steve Bennett in the meetup today. Video looks great so rather than write it up too much here I’ll get the edit done and get it live ASAP. Thanks to everyone who came along - we had a great collection of people from QLD, WA, VIC and ACT this week.

We’re up for suggestions on what to focus on next fortnight. We have a few topics lined up as possibilities.

One additional thing we’ll be hosting is a specific meetup from 2:30pm to hopefully induct or initiate more people from councils around the country into supporting the open council data initiative. Meetup to be added to the site very soon…

1 Like