As we are releasing the next version of the PATTRN open source project, we are looking for a new Researcher/Data Scientist/Full-stack developer to run this project as well as join the team of Forensic Architecture in new frontiers of research.
Forensic Architecture is a research agency based at Goldsmiths, University of London. We undertake research that maps, images, and models sites of violence within the framework of international humanitarian law and human rights. Conducted by a multidisciplinary team of architects, artists, filmmakers, activists, and theorists, our investigations provide evidence for international prosecution teams, political organisations, NGOs – such as Amnesty international and MSF — and the United Nations. Our work is often the subject of international exhibitions and reviews.
We are looking to hire someone London-based, and who has experience both as data scientist and full-stack developer, solid understanding of software engineering (with a focus on how to build and manage software code in a small team and in open source projects), as well as being up to date on latest technologies and current best practices in order to be able to advise on longer-term technical directions.
Forensic Architecture projects are fast-paced, highly innovative and engaging projects that require strong creative minds. Full-time applicants would also need the ability to design and oversee complex software systems made of several interrelated components, as well as experiment with smaller proof-of-concept ideas.
- Designing and leading the development of digital research tools [FT,PT]
- Developing data-driven frontend web applications (2D and 3D) [FT,PT]
- Designing and developing secure backend web applications [FT]
- Overseeing software engineering workflows [FT]
- Advising on the technical strategic direction of FA’s digital research tools [FT]
- Managing FA’s web infrastructure (with specific attention to data security and privacy as well as reliability of operations) [FT]
- Overseeing the delivery of FA’s web projects [FT]
- Front-end development (experience with frameworks such as React, Angular, Ember, Elm is a plus) [FT,PT]
- Development of data-driven web applications and data visualization (D3.js, Leaflet, Three.js) [FT,PT]
- Data analysis and management (R, Python/pandas) [FT,PT]
- Developing [FT] and interfacing with [FT,PT] REST APIs
- Managing data securely in relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL/MariaDB) [FT,PT as a plus]
- Experience collaborating with free software/open source projects [FT,PT]
- Experience with software engineering best practices (building, managing, testing, documenting, deploying software, measuring performance) [FT,PT]
- Experience designing, developing and maintaining secure web infrastructure using DevOps methods [FT]
- Excellent communication skills, capacity to present the project in multiple settings internationally [FT]
- Web product management experience is a plus [FT]
- Previous experience working in the field of (digital) activism / human rights / humanitarian action / reporting / data security / design is a strong plus [FT,PT]
Applicants should send a recent CV as well as small sample of work to email@example.com with “OPEN POSITION - Researcher / Data Scientist / Full-stack developer” in the subject line.