Why drop annotations?

Annotations for the Open Definition seem to have been dropped between version 1.0 [1] and version 2.1 [2]. Annotations are available for the Open Source Definition [3].
I find these annotations useful in explaining the reasoning for each point in the Open Definition, which in turn helps sell the benefits of “Open” to potential adopters of an Open Manifesto.
Is there an annotated version of the latest Open Definition? If so, what is the URL? And can you please link to it.
If not, would the Advisory Council consider it advantageous to create an official annotated version of the Open Definition? If so, what would be the next steps?

[1] Open Knowledge Definition v.1.0 annotated - Open Definition - Defining Open in Open Data, Open Content and Open Knowledge
[2] Open Definition 2.1 - Open Definition - Defining Open in Open Data, Open Content and Open Knowledge
[3] The Open Source Definition (Annotated) | Open Source Initiative

I recall they were dropped because the definition should be understandable standalone. It was discussed on the mailing list but I don’t have a reference at hand. Post-post mentions rationale at lists.okfn.org Mailing Lists

The annotations/comments on the OSD and pre-2.0 OD are really thin and mainly needed because the definitions are hard to understand without lots of background knowledge.

I would welcome and would probably help create much more substantive annotations for OD 2.1 if there’s substantial interest.

1 Like