Local Groups pilot

Hi,

Nice to see this initiative running and that details are been worked out finally. I’m a member of a local Colombian community on open data/knowledge, but after a recent travel to Argentina I think that there is a lot of potential for shared interests like this in the region. So I’m wondering which could be the best hierarchy for local/language communities.

I think that shared language can be the best advantage for Ibero and Latin America in helping to increase peripheral view of what is happening on shared concerns. So I will propose some hierarchy like:

Language > Theme > Country,

for example:

• Spanish > Open Government > Colombia or
  • Spanish > Open/Citizen Science & Research > Argentina.

(of course using the Spanish words for subcategories). In that way members can participate in local subgroups, but also find the place to work on local issues or more regional ones and browse what is being done o particular subjects in other places. I fact using default English and theme subtopic was the default way for organization, until language/cultural issue started to gain visibility, so I think that Language > Theme (> Place) is already being using successfully when we think of English as the default prominent language and want to connect people around different topics.

The only think is that existing “okes” would be for Open Knowledge Spanish not for Open Knowledge Spain (We could explore some country code if we need to specify regional categories).

Could be this implemented? If yes, I wold like to help with Spanish Open Governement and Open/Citizen Science and research subcategories.

Cheers,

Offray