National Statistics entry, UY

Hi, we discover a wrong entry for this category.
https://index.okfn.org/place/uy/statistics/

We found a link to the national statistics site of spain.
Sección prensa / Producto Interior Bruto (PIB) - GDP data

The right one is this:
http://www.bcu.gub.uy/Estadisticas-e-Indicadores/Paginas/Presentacion%20Cuentas%20Nacionales.aspx

That’s very well spotted, @gustavo_uy! Unfortunately I cannot see the terms of use for this data (link to the terms of use in the page footer is broken). Can you refer to a URL that would allow me to see the license? Is this data also presented in formats other than pdf?

Best
Danny

This is the link to the terms of use, see chapter 7 about the licence.
http://datos.gub.uy/wps/wcm/connect/7fe4b346-b24c-4889-af2f-073897a1e97d/terminos-catalogodatos.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&ContentCache=NONE&CACHEID=7fe4b346-b24c-4889-af2f-073897a1e97d

http://www.bcu.gub.uy/Estadisticas-e-Indicadores/Paginas/Presentacion%20Cuentas%20Nacionales.aspx
The only document in pdf format is the full report; but all the data is XLS. You have access to the data at the + sign.

I was referring to GDP data available from the Central Bank. Do you know which terms of use they are applying? Is there a link to their terms of use that is not broken?

The license you are referring to would not cover the GDP data from the Central Bank (since it only applies to data uploaded to the platform, if I read correctly).

All the best
Danny

yeah @dannylammerhirt is right the licence you are referring to would not cover the GDP data from the Central Bank. But they is a way around it.
Thanks
Dennis

If there is a way around it, please tell us @SmartD. :slight_smile:

Conflicting licenses are indeed a big issue, which gains importance whenever we find single data items on different websites. This is important for GODI but for data use more largely. With GODI we assess entire data categories, made of mandatory data. If one data element is not openly licensed, none of them are considered to be openly licensed. This is because we want to measure homogeneity of licenses across data sets.

I would also love to hear more about how we could deal with general open licenses. I remember that we had discussions with @Enrique_Zapata who stated that data provided on data.gov.mx are automatically openly licensed, also when they are found on other websites.

This was however little evident, which makes an assessment of open licenses even harder.

I agree that this is a big issue. In my experience, the problem has to do with two main issues:

1. National legal frameworks + the national understanding of those legal frameworks.
  2. Legacy practices and customs from legal teams in government which have not been necessarily exposed to the culture of openness.

Regarding the first issue: as a general rule, the interpretation of Mexico’s Legal Council (Ministry level institution) and our National Copyrights Institute is that the Mexican government cannot ‘license’ the use of government public data, since it is by default a public good ‘owned’ by all Mexicans. In this sense, our Free Use Terms serve as a clarification mechanism for data users, so that understand that data can be freely used, reused, and redistributed by anyone, anytime, anywhere. From this legal interpretation, it follows that all public data published by the Mexican government is free to use unless it is otherwise stated.

This brings me to the second issue: although all government public data is tacitly open by default, this is not necessarily understood by users if its not stated straightforward in government websites - as it is in datos.gob.mx -.
To address this issue, we are working to mandate the use of our Free Use Terms the default terms for all public data, in all government websites. By doing this we are in fact changing the equation so that data is clearly ‘Open by Default’ (from the legal perspective). This action has been greatly influenced by the conversations around GODI, and we hope to have it ready by end of the month/ early June.

Hope this example can be useful for UY and other countries.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Enrique,

This is very insightful and we would of course love to hear more about how the Mexican government implements these terms of use, since I think many governments could profit from such information.

At OKI, we intend to run an in-depth research on the state of open licensing of government data. It would be excellent to stay in touch and see how we can maybe learn more about your model.

I am sorry for the late reply. Can I still reply you on the question?

Hi @SmartD

Of course! Apologies for my belated response, I’m still very much interested in the licensing question above.