About the CKAN category

A place to to discuss the CKAN open data portal software that is being used around the world.

The discussions here should be valuable in helping people evaluate whether CKAN is the right tool for their OKFN related initiatives. Whether you’d like to discuss managing open data policy, custodians and engagement with technical communities you’ll likely find people who’ve had a hand in this and supported it with CKAN.

As CKAN is open source and open to innovation it directly supports NGO, Government and Civic oriented private sector initiatives.

1 Like

How does this Category relate to the CKAN Global User Group, CKAN on GitHub, and discussions using the CKAN tag on Stack Overflow?

Do we need this category?

I think it is ok :slight_smile: I made mention of it for those involved in the Community and Comms discussions.

In general, this is what I think:

CKAN users - talking over the google group surrounding end user adoption, and feedback from those using it. It is also something of an announce list for things like CKAN updates or calls for participation in things like CKANcon.

CKAN dev - used for specific support and bug discussions. Its assumed that these are people actively building and supporting CKAN environments and/or extensions. Although, it is somewhat over used for support as the infomation would have much more value to the wider dev audience if it was in a discoverable forum. In the past this was encouraged and I suspect it will be again in the near future.

CKAN discussions here - I think the discussions here will be valuable to help people evaluate whether CKAN is the right tool for their OKFN related initiatives. The topics might be higher level and relate to managing open data policy, custodians and engagement with technical communities (such as hacks or challenges). Particularly relevant for the Community and Comms team it would be a great way to broaden the message of CKAN being open source and open to innovation which directly supports NGO, Government and Civic oriented private sector initiatives.

Updating my thinking a little :slight_smile: The community features here might be more helpful for those sharing information in a manner which lets them receive some positive acknowledgement. This would help for those who would normally share into the CKAN users list. Sharing into an email list most often receives minimal replies, which is fine, even if the share is well received and valuable to the user community. Such shares here can be ‘liked’ without a reply and thereby give positive feedback and encouragement to those posting.

For those CKAN dev list, it is certainly the case that the tech team have been pushing more people to provide the outline of their issues with setting up or using CKAN via stack overflow. Doing so builds more of a knowledge base for problem-solution style discussions that others can find and use over time.

Working discussions around issues/bugs and pull request are still best to be held over GitHub.

1 Like

I read that linking data files will be no longer supported in future, but only upload. Does this mean that CKAN installations will be cut off from live data recorded automatically?