Closing down the OKI wiki, what does it mean for you?

Yes! I will merge it this weekend!

And to the point - I think that we can make more community member admin on the handbook if needed (or at least give it to ambassadors and group orginisers)

For me it’s fine to shut down the wiki. And we focus on Discourse platform for discussions.

1 Like

Yeah shutting down the wiki and migrating the resources into Open Data Handbook community guide sounds good idea. Are we going to merge all kinds of resources into the handbook section or only the selected one.

I agree with this proposition of efficiency. the forum Discourse is awesome for dialogue. The “automatic” lists subscribers transfer to reciproque forum will be very appreciated. It’s very difficult to follow redundance.

Merci
Diane

I believe that merging all kind of resources can be good.

Anyone want to help me think of what the needs are? We can have a Network call about it!

1 Like

+1
We need an action plan with a timeline :wink:

Diane

Hi Mor

@stefankasberger and I can migrate things off the open science part of the
wiki. There’s a reasonable quantity of content but not overwhelming amounts.
If the plan is to migrate static content to the forum, are there examples
of where this has worked well? It’s feature-rich so I can see that given
the editing patterns of the wiki, if people were given sufficient rights
over shared posts it could work well but I haven’t seen others using it.

For open science, we could also migrate everything back to WordPress…

Jenny

1 Like

Hi @jcmolloy!
For your question - here is a bit about a wiki post -

If there is any static data, I would recommend to move it to the WordPress rather than the forum.
Let me or @danfowler know if you have more questions!

Thanks Mor! That makes sense, we can discuss what to do and how much of the
info is up to date/worth transferring.

Jenny

I think resources available in the presentation section and Local Group starting tutorial of the wiki are also important. A year ago, we planned to make wiki a home of Involvement Showcase. Where newly involved people can inspire themselves by looking others involvement and works. But everything went in vain because of the lack of time.

Are there options for archiving the wiki in a way that would mean that the pages (and their histories) would still be accessible somewhere? E.g. could we export, zip and put on Archive.org or similar?

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve done this before FO.S.C.A. wiki : Migliorini and others : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive it’s very minimal but works well. Just use Special:Export on MediaWiki (check the option to export all history) and save the resulting XML file :champagne:

@jwyg i was also asking about this - i think history is valuable. We certainly want to archive the current site - and we can do that to webarchive.okfn.org. However, getting revisions si more complex …

@jwyg - definitely all pages would be archived, but @pwalsh and I need to investigate what will be the best way to do it.

Hi, about typical wiki post use, how to “get powers” to change my post to Wiki? I not see a “click here to change to Wiki”…

1 Like

You need an admin for that it think… @danfowler, please confim.

@ppkrauss @Mor Users with Trust Level 3 and above can make posts “wiki” posts.

@ppkrauss, you were at 2. I’ve bumped you up :arrow_up:.

@danfowler can we lower the bar and give all level 2 users the abillity to make wiki posts?

Why not?

Done :ballot_box_with_check: