Creating sub-categories at OKI Discuss in our local languages/groups

I have been off discuss for a while. I’d like to see Sweden and some more local groups/chapters piloting a forum structure that allows for local language (e.g. Swedish) in categories / sub-categories to have different topc on areas.

Have been e-mailing with @Mor @danfowler but would like to take it in public.

1 Like

@Mor @danfowler - I have decided I want to try a top-level category “Sweden (Sverige)” pilot in Swedish at this forum. Together with an online support site for making FOI requests we would like to drive community here. We’ll evaluate in the fall to later see if it is sustainable or if we should host a local Swedish instance by our own. But we would like to start with working from the potential of gathering Swedish communities here to connect to the international crowd. :slight_smile:

Edit: FYI - The Discourse.org third-party connection and US hosting might be stopping some people from joining. :slight_smile:

HI!

Great, I will open a top category!

I really understand the whole server issue, but i think we had US hosting before, and Discourse is build by open source enthusiasts that I believe care about these matters. It is though very expensive and not sustainable to host on our servers, and we believe hosting on discourse servers is the best way to go.

Started already! :slight_smile: https://discuss.okfn.org/c/Sweden

I see. We will take it into consideration when we evaluate the use and our own potential costs to run local instance. Discourse won’t replace the mailing lists entirely right? They are still useful for us with those who feel uncomfortable with e-mail and the Discourse hosting. :slight_smile:

No, we will not close the mailing lists if they owners need them. However, we are in the process of archiving and closing lists that are not in use anymore.

1 Like

Hi,

As previously requested, are you going to offer an automatic mechanism, upon request, to make invitations on behalf of the “Administrators” lists = Granted forum members?

For example, members of the [okfn-ca] could receive an invitation from the “owners” of local groups forum [okca].

Thank you

Does this post help with your question? We may still have an issue with Moderators doing a bulk invite due to this forums security controls but if so, I’m sure we can work around that.

1 Like