Entry for law / nz

This is a discussion about the submission for law / nz.

I just wanted to provide some feedback on the reviewer’s findings on the entries for National Laws/New Zealand and Draft Legislation/New Zealand:

National Laws https://index.okfn.org/place/nz/law/

In an open and machine-readable format? This has been assessed incorrectly, as all current laws (and many no-longer-current laws) are available in XML from the directory structure at Browse. The reviewer instead assessed what was available at New Zealand Legislation.

Downloadable at once? This has also been assessed incorrectly, because all current laws (and many no-longer-current laws) are downloadable from Browse. All content at this location can be downloaded by recursively downloading from the base URL.

One of the data locations used, New Zealand Legislation - Dataset - data.govt.nz - discover and use data, has been superseded (although it may have been current at time of the assessment). Both the replacement location, New Zealand Legislation - Dataset - data.govt.nz - discover and use data, and the superseded location, provide (or provided) access to the directory structure Browse.

See GODI’s assessment of New Zealand National Laws from 2014, which acknowledged the resource Browse

Draft Legislation https://index.okfn.org/place/nz/draftlegislation/

In an open and machine-readable format? This has been assessed incorrectly.

Downloadable at once? This has also been assessed incorrectly.

All current Bills (and many earlier Bills) are available in XML format at Browse, and can be downloaded at once from that location. This information is available at the data location New Zealand Legislation - Dataset - data.govt.nz - discover and use data.

HI @Michelle! Good to see this alternative datasource.

My 2 cents on it:

1. I found the URL - Browse in the portal under the XML directory structure. This is fine, but the heading one would press to find the data…
  2. I also saw that there is a zip file that allows bulk data on the portal.
  3. For some reason, the legislation website link to the open data portal for more info. Why not to just also mention this - Browse there?

I agree here that this XML file fits the criteria. I will make a note to change this in our review. Thank you for reporting on this!