Entry for Weather Forecast / Japan

This is a discussion about the submission for Weather Forecast / Japan.

Hi @Masa,

I’m currently reviewing your submission for weather forecasts in Japan. I was not able to find wind speed and direction forecasts for the current day and the following two days. Can you send a link where you found this data?

Best
Danny

1 Like

Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) is providing wind speed and direction forecasts only for the current day. This is under the CC-BY4.0 Creative Commons License. There are no data for the following two days.

However, forecast data for the following some days are provided by Japan Meteorological Business Support Center which is the JMA’s affiliated organization. These data are for a fee, and not open.

http://www.jmbsc.or.jp/en/index-e.html

1 Like

Hello, I found following data published from Japan Meteorological Agency.

It is a pretty complex to find.

• The data are listed by RSS (Atom) field.
  • Target data could be found in “定時” (periodic) list.
  • Detailed data is in “府県週間天気予報” (Weather Forecast by week for each Prefecture). sample
  • The files are published in XML format. Following column is included.

Published column

• Temperature extremes
  • Precipitation Probability
  • Forecast for current day and four following days

NOT published column

• Temperature average
  • Wind speed
  • Wind direction
  • Precipitation Amount

Do those data could help to count this Entry?
If it helps, I would like to check the details.

Hi @nyampire,

Thank you so much for finding and elaborating on the data. I see that daily temperature averages are included in the dataset and so is precipitation amount. The only data that is missing are wind speed and direction.

Firstly, we need to acknowledge that this is an excellent dataset. It even provides reliability values for rain probability which is something I came across rarely during review. We definitely should acknowledge this in the entry for Japan’s weather forecasts and I will add a note in the entry

Yet, for weather forecasts we treated each country under one standard which required to publish wind data too. We would refer to the most representative dataset, which sometimes made us pick public data that is not necessarily open, but is representative for our key dataset (e.g. a map of wind barbs).

You can find more explanations about our approach in this topic. Please also feel invited to discuss our current approach with us in this topic and another topic.

Given the feedback from the community and the issue that 0% scores are hiding a lot of details, we tend to implement a weighted score.

Do you know if wind data is published in any way for more than the current day? Such as on a webmap of Japan’s Meteorological Organisation? Then we could consider this data for assessment.

Thank you @dannylammerhirt .
There is no wind data from Japan Meteorological Agency.

Forecast data of Wind speed and direction is published from Japan Meteorological Business Support Center. Explanation about the data is available
here

It is not free of charge. Require contact and need payment.
But available for 264 hours (11 days) with 12 hour period more than current day.

1 Like