How can I get my own local census?

Sorry for that @jgkim ! what is the status with the other members of OK in South Korea? Are they on board with this as well? I would love to understand how you will deal with this as a group. :smile: @Haklae_Kim @Seonho_Kim

2 Likes

@Mor, actually, in the first place, I came up with this idea as an individual, then I met some people interested in it, though they were not on the board. At that time, I thought the board members were not as active as before, and that was true at least in terms of publicity (I did not know exactly who they are, and the website was also down for quite a long time, maybe months or more than a year). I organized a meetup under the name of OK Korea and two of the members were there. In the meetup, I briefly introduced this idea and wrote down on the pad (okkr). Shortly after that, the board members had a “closed” board meeting, which I could not attend to as I’m not on the board so I missed a chance to discuss this in more details.

Anyway, yes! Thanks, @Mor It could be the right time to bring this to another level and to start discussion with other people in Korea. I guess this forum would be a right place to do so, and with the board members, the previous contributors and reviewers of the Open Data Index such as @mozodev and Young-Je Lim could help this idea be implemented. Any thoughts on this? @Haklae_Kim @Seonho_Kim @gim ?

@Mor You already knew some issues regarding a local group in Korea. I think this topic is not a good place for repeating that. In fact, I didn’t clearly understand how local members participate in this project. @jgkim mentioned about this project in our facebook group once, after that I don’t see any updates. We will investigate a better solution for resolving this issue.

Well, we’re in a step to discuss what are the roles for core team and other members even including other ones who want to be active on these activities. in that sense, I don’t think it was a ‘closed’ meeting but a ‘core team’ meeting since we need to make clear what we have done before you(@jgkim)'re engaging the activities of OK, and to arrange further directions.

I agree and thanks with what you said for discussions of further co-working tasks, but this thread is not the right place to mention this topic related written above, in general.

Actually I was not joining of Census or Open Data Index work but @Haklae_Kim, so I personally don’t know well about the processes and we could discuss of it here and also in Slack which I created for the open discussion through active members in Korea.

@Haklae_Kim, I guess the first thing we Koreans need to do together would be to gather ideas regarding which datasets should be addressed in local censuses, regardless of whether it’s city-level or province-level. Every country has its own characteristics so there could be some differences between censuses for Korea and other countries. As @Stephen suggested before, the datasets of the Austrailian census would be a great reference where we could start our discussion.

i have one specific question regarding a local census. we will try to start one in austria, depending on finding members for the project team from the community.

the question is: how do you in general set the time span of the census? for one year? when do you compare the results then? how do you handle, that the cities will not be compared on the exact same day and so may be a little bit unfair (e.g. city A got reviewed in january, city B in november. city A gets 10 new datasets in july, but they are not submitted to the census. when you then compare the two cities at the end of december, city A will get worst score, than what they actually have.)

so, when do you review, and how do you set up the timeintarvall of a census (is there even an intervall, or is it continous?)

Currently the local and regional census run for a calendar year (1 January - 31 December). Submissions can be made throughout the whole year. Everything resets on 1 January.

Prior year entries are marked with the year:

The home page shows the most recent entries across years. Entries for a specific year can be selected:

This may not be the case going forward as the census and index are being redesigned.