Planet Open Science

I should note that admin privileges on science.okfn.org mean you’re able to make any new pages and modify the plugin using the plugin options etc.

If you need custom code or to do something that doesn’t involve using the current options e.g. installing or using a custom theme, then we need to go back to the sysadmins or get an instance running on a labs server/somewhere else with more administrator functions than the live blogfarm.

Would be worth checking if the off the shelf plugin does the job first though!

I guess the real question is how to create the page. Is it like how you create a new wiki page?

The documentation wiki is down but I found a detailed blog post:

I thought you would feed into a page but I was wrong, you actually feed into the blog so you could tag everything as ‘planet’ and then it will appear at Planet | OKF Open Science Working Group

This isn’t ideal as we’ll drown out items that are posted to the actual blog, unless we exclude the planet category from the main blog feed, which is possible but we’d need to ask the sysadmins if we can adjust The Loop code:
http://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop#Exclude_Posts_From_Some_Category
Or install another plugin:
e.g. Simply Exclude – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

Alternatively once we’ve established the plugin does what we want, I can ask for a subdomain to be set up with a clean install…

I had my epic fail today, I finally figured out the address to the admin log in to the WP interface to play around with FeedPress.

Anyways, we also need to set up a cron job for checking for new posts:

If you want to use a cron job,
	you can perform scheduled updates by sending regularly-scheduled
	requests to http://science.okblogfarm.org?update_feedwordpress=1
	For example, inserting the following line in your crontab:
	*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/curl --silent http://science.okblogfarm.org?update_feedwordpress=1
	will check in every 10 minutes
	and check for updates on any feeds that are ready to be polled for updates.

And also, I will wait until the FeedPress wiki is up again to play with it.

The wiki is back up but I will wait until I have time to look at it, and that could be tomorrow.

Yeah, I saw when I tested it out with my blog’s feed. I think it would be better to use The Loop code as it already exists, but if it fails, then we should use the plug in. Once this is in, then we can get the Planet going.

Great! You will probably explain what we want better than I will so would you sending an email to the sysadmins? Just make it clear it’s for the science.okfn.org domain only and suggest both the loop method and plugin tenh they can choose whichever they prefer

The relevant email address for community requests is in the Open Knowledge Ops Manual

As it’s your first request, If you copy me in or mention me it’ll be clear it’s legit working group business :slight_smile:

Edit: for reference, our sysadmins are Nigel and Matt and they’re very friendly. I always feel a bit awkward emailing anonymous addresses.

Done and I have sent you a copy also, feel free to add info that I have forgotten.

And I’m also making a “Planet Open Science Feed Queue”.

@jcmolloy @belkinsa is this now go? Can we close/archive this topic?

The RT folks completed the request but I didn’t test what they done. Give me one more week to test it.

I think it’s ready for public use.