In working with a number of partners to upload fiscal data to OpenSpending, we learned that obtaining such data can still be difficult. We are reaching out to you to learn about your experiences in “unlocking” fiscal data and tips to have ongoing access to fiscal data.
These are a few examples from our partners:
- Filed a Freedom of Information (FOI) request (Sinar project in Malaysia)
- Went into meetings with authorities to make the case for open fiscal data (Sinar project in Malaysia)
- Partnered with other CSOs in the country that work closely with the municipalities who were willing to share the data that they had already collected (Metamorphosis in Macedonia)
- Scraped the data from the website of the Ministry of Finance (Metamorphosis in Macedonia)
- Organized information workshops to present the necessity of involving citizens in the budget cycle to diverse stakeholders (Mayors, Supreme Audit Institutions, Civil Society Organizations, Journalists, etc.) (AfroLeadership in Cameroon)
What is your experience? Please share your experiences here.