Episode 1- 2018/2/1: US Open Knowledge Network and WPRDC Overview

WHEN: February 1, 2018. 2-3pm EST / 11a-noon PST

WHERE: GotoWebinar :point_left:t4: register here

WHAT:
Open Knowledge is Open Data that is useful, usable and used. And for data to be useful and usable for it to be used, it needs to be high quality data - curated and published with a purpose.

In this webinar, we explore what the Open Knowledge Network is doing in the US to facilitate the creation of Open Knowledge, and explore what the Western Pennsylvania Regional Data Center is doing to engage the community to take Open Data beyond just publishing raw datasets on a website.

This is the inaugural webinar of the monthly webinar series being hosted by the re-energized US Open Knowledge Network.

AGENDA:

5 mins - INTRODUCTIONS (Burt & Joel)

• reboot of US Open Knowledge Network
  • US Local Group in discuss.okfn.org - United States - Open Knowledge Forums
  • webinar series on Open Knowledge topics (to be archived in OKI Youtube Channel)
    • CKAN, Open Data best practices
    • Open Government, Data-driven government
    • Frictionless Data, Open Source, etc.
  • Call for speakers. Call for members for revitalized US Open Knowledge Network.
  • Introduce inaugural speakers

15 mins - What is Open Knowledge? the Open Knowledge Network? Frictionless Data? (Oscar)

25 mins - WPRDC (Bob Gradeck & Team)

• Project Overview
  • Open data portal
  • Community engagement approach
  • Tools - Property dashboard/Burgh’s Eye View
  • Performance measurement dashboard

13 mins - Q & A

2 mins - wrap-up. Save the date for next monthly webinar.

2 Likes

And here’s the Google Slide for the first @OKFNUS webinar

And the recording of the webinar is here:

2 Likes

WEBINAR RECAP: A New Year, a renewed beginning for the US Open Knowledge Network

The recording of the first webinar in the monthly series of the rejuvenated US Open Knowledge Network is now available!

For something that started as a New Year’s resolution that came to me as I was traipsing through a walking trail Jan 1 to the inaugural webinar a few weeks later, its gratifying how quickly all the resources came together on short notice!

In my mind, that’s testament to the latent potential of community, the very thing we’re trying to tap and facilitate here in the US. Big thanks to @pwalsh, @sandervdwaal, @oscarmontiel & @Bytemarks who facilitated the request to reboot the US node in short order and the WPRDC team (@rgradeck, @steve.saylor & @dwalker) for putting up with my pestering the past two weeks to be inaugural speakers of the webinar series. :slight_smile:

Having been involved in the CKAN ecosystem since 2012, one recurring feedback I get from the US community was the lack of local resources beyond the usual developer-focused online resources one might expect of the most successful open source, data management platform.

Beyond the mailing lists, online documentation and other great online resources that OKI has compiled, there was no group that was available across the US. With the rebooted US Open Knowledge Network Node, this will no longer be the case.

I say “will” as this is still an aspirational goal, and one that will only succeed with your support.

So as per the Call to Action in the presentation:

• If you’re US-based and interested in topics/projects Open Knowledge (open data, frictionless data, CKAN, etc.), JOIN US by signing up in this forum.
  • If you have a story/project/idea to share during one of the monthly webinars, add it to the webinar backlog!
  • Fill out the survey below to give us feedback and start the conversation!

Webinar Feedback:
Was the content informative?

• Yes
  • No
  • So-so

0 voters

How would you rate the webinar on a scale of 1 to 10?

0 voters

What other webinar formats do you want to see?

• Presentations
  • Interview (podcast style)
  • Themed open Q&A
  • Community Show and Tell
  • Other

0 voters

Apart from “unconferences” colocated at major conferences to facilitate face-to-face meetups, what other face-to-face meeting formats are you interested in?

• CKANcon in the US
  • Reboot a local meetup
  • Work with existing local organization
  • Other

0 voters

not sure how to do a call to action when there’s no means…“If you’re US-based and interested in topics/projects Open Knowledge (open data, frictionless data, CKAN, etc.), JOIN US by signing up in this forum”…Which forum?