New Member Introductions

Hello, my name is Lucas,

My background is naval engineering, but I am a python programmer for passion and vocation. I live in Rio de Janeiro (BR), I have worked in some startups, and now I am working in a geoverno bidding consultancy (most of my job is scrap and mine date of public portals). I’m here to meet people, projects and events related to innovation with open data. I hope to contribute to this community! Thanks.

4 Likes

Hello, my name is Mikhail and Im working with data extraction and processing problematic at Diggernaut (cloud based data extraction platform). Wishing to contribute my knowledge to the community.

4 Likes

Hoi, Gerry! Ik hou echt Knowledge Organization Systems. :slight_smile:

I had never heard before of Skosmos. It sounds interesting, but unfortunately the link you provided no longer works.

Bem vindo, @Lucas-Armand!

From the interests and experiences you have described, I think you might like the Meu Querido Diário project from Open Knowledge Brasil. It aims to scrap Brazilian local official gazettes, so as to make official acts machine readable.

1 Like

Hello Community,

I am Georgie, I work for a not-for-profit called mySociety, based in the UK, but working internationally :slight_smile:

At the moment, my focus is on meeting people who would like to collaborate in building a Democratic Commons; individuals and organisations working together to make information on every elected politician in the world freely available to all, supported by the Wikimedia project Wikidata.

mySociety suspects a lack of open current data of elected politicians slows down a lot of radical work… but we don’t know this, so if anyone has any thoughts, I am carrying out user research and would love to speak to people.

I am also interested in how much the Code for All/ Open Knowledge and Wikimedia worlds interact and if so, where people meet (online or offline)…

You can reach me here, or by email at georgie@mysociety.org although my preference would be to communicate in the open :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, @GeorgieBurr, and welcome!

Democratic Commons seems to be a very interesting project indeed. What is the releation between it and EveryPolitician, which is also from MySociety?

You might want to also check out the Popolo project, which has a vocabulary useful for structuring parliament data.

3 Likes

Hi @herrmann :slight_smile:

Thanks for your comments!
EveryPolitician currently runs about 11,000 scrapers and is not very sustainable, also it is only national level data. The proposal of the Commons is a deeper dataset (down to the local level) and using Wikidata… our aim is that we can eventually power EP from Wikidata (indeed some countries have already been swapped) and we will continue to use popolo to structure the data.

Are you a Wikidata user?

1 Like

I’ve heard of Wikidata, but never really used it.

So the Commons dataset is to be maintained in Wikidata, manually? That sounds to me as even more error prone and in risk of becoming outdated than using scrappers for EP. Is it not?

open civic data is a group working on something very similar; they have a github and slack; i think popolo may actually have been born from it, though i’m not 100% on that.

https://ocd-slack-invite-automation.herokuapp.com/

2 Likes

Hello all,

My name is Ingrid Hjertaker and I am a policy advisor for Tax Justice Network - Norway. We are a CSO working, among other things, for more transparency in company ownership and for open country-by-country reporting for multinational corporations.

I’m here to connect with and learn from the international open knowledge community!

2 Likes

Hullo!
Sorry for very slow response to your comment :slight_smile:

We are pretty excited by Wikidata (if it is embraced) as a collaboratively maintained dataset, it might remove the need for everyone to be separately updating their datasets (so less work), and it overcomes the issues of licensing which is an issue with the scrapers.
The data could be maintained via prompts and there are increasingly advanced tools to spot changes/ vandalism on Wikidata (Wikipedia is a great example of how the community manages vandalism and keeping data up to date). The main issue is the high entry barrier to use and extract data from Wikidata, we are working to create tools /platforms to make this easier.
Our current thinking is to try out developing a structure in the UK working with multiple organisations, friends and the Wikidata community to see if we can make it work.

1 Like

I’m going to out this to my more techy colleagues :slight_smile: I think we should get in touch, if we are not already!
Thanks for the link!

Hi!

Thanks for your response, anyway. :slight_smile: Maybe we should take this conversation to another area in the forum, instead of the new member welcome area. Here, I’ve created a topic just for this.

Greetings All~
I’m Justin Townsend. By day I work as a Systems Admin/Project Manager for a Hydraulics repair/machine shop. In my spare spare time I continue research I started in college in 2006 involving: moving away from internal combustion as a source of transport, species development socially and personally with a weather eye to ethos and principles, the renewing of craft/trade skills in society so that we can shape a merit-based society that has a more reasonable chance of propelling our species towards interstellar exploration, among several other hobbies and past times. I genuinely believe we are at a point in time when we can, and should, make serious choices that will benefit our species overall - not any political, religious, or monetary agenda; as, in fact, those things tend to diminish us as people frankly. I want a world all of our great great grandchildren love, cherish, and call home but I want it to be a place to start out from and reach out into Laniakea more. There is so much we do not know about our own planet yet, but so very much more out there that calls to us.

I look forward to sharing my thoughts for all of this and learning others’ points of view, thank you very much for being here and letting me speak as well!

JT

2 Likes

Hey,

My name Stephany Dionysio and I am a brazilian lead technology architect in a philantropic company. Also I am getting a PhD in computer science applied to smart cities.
I am very interested in all aspects of technology and society and I am glad that I found open knowledge forum :slight_smile:
For those who wants to connect, here is my linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/szdionysio/

Greetings

1 Like

Hi!

Today’s my first day at my shiny new full-time developer role at Open Knowledge Belgium.
Looking forward to meeting and getting to know more of you in the near future :).

Want to have a chat :eyes:? michiel@openknowledge.be

Happy hacking :wave:
Michiel

4 Likes

Hi! I’m Anna Bonney and I work as a piano teacher and College of Southern Maryland student. I am not quite decided on a major yet, but I’m heading towards becoming a tutor. I’m here to find out about new ideas and learn to think like and understand other people.

Hi my name is sam,
I feels very glad after reading this.

Hello Banana2044,
My name is samjoseph and I am also a music teacher. I want to give you this advice that understand yourself and you will automatically start to understand other.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. :slight_smile: I do think that there is a lot about myself I don’t understand or even know yet, so I’m hoping this year I find out.